Almost all employee use MS Outlook as their email client software. They connect using IMAP/POP3 and SMTP. I need Outlook to connect to the Atmail server to sync Calendars and Contacts. Can it be done?
- On-Premise Server + WebMail Installations: Version 7.0 > Current Version
- Webmail Only Installations: Version 7.0 > Current Version
Atmail and Outlook Calendar and Contacts syncing requirement.
Atmail's DavSync plugin allows you to connect your CardDAV Contacts and CalDAV Calendar to Microsoft Outlook and synchronize your data.
Supported Outlook Versions
- Adding Events
- Deleting Events
- Modifying Events
- Basic event recurrence patterns (Daily / Weekly/ Monthly)
- Multiple calendar support (Any personal or shared calendars created in Atmail are available in Outlook)
- Uses the CalDAV protocol to synchronize data to Atmail
- Personal Contacts (NOT shared global contacts)
- Adding Contacts
- Deleting Contacts
- Modifying Contacts
- Contact details such as: Name, Email, Phone Numbers, Address, Fax and Contact Photo, etc...
- Uses the CardDAV protocol to synchronize data to Atmail
Synchronized data is made available via the Webmail interface, allowing you to keep Atmail and Microsoft Outlook in sync. Any new data created in the Webmail interface takes precedence when synchronized.
- Right click DavSync.zip and select the Extract All option from the context menu.
- Select a destination to install DavSync and then click Extract.
- Double-click the extracted file to launch the DavSync installer.
- You will be prompted with a copyright notice, click Next to continue with the installation process.
- When you reach the Installation options section, click Install to install DavSync to the selected destination folder.
Once DavSync has been successfully installed, you will be prompted with this notice, click Finish to close the installer.
Configuring DavSync for Microsoft Outlook
Before you can configure DavSync, ensure you have installed the plugin. Refer to the Installing DavSync section on this page.
You will need to configure your DavSync settings before you can synchronize your contacts and calendar data.
Start by launching Microsoft Outlook, you should see the DavSync tab (located at the top of the window), click it and select Options after this you should be prompted with the configuration pane.
Enter the details of the account you want to sync into the Server URL:, Username: and Password: fields, then click OK.
|Server URL||Your Webmail HTTP address|
|Username||Your Email Username|
|Password||Your Email Password|
DavSync will then validate your settings to make sure that you can successfully connect to the server.
You can access and modify your DavSync Settings at any time.
Upon successful configuration, the plugin will prompt you to perform a first time synchronization. Depending on how much data you have stored on the Atmail CalDAV/ CardDAV server this process may take some time. Subsequent synchronization should be significantly faster, as only new Events, Contacts and updated data are sent between the email client and server.
You can select the types of data you would like to sync via the DavSync options tab.
The Sync button will download all selected server data, updating the information in Outlook to match the Atmail Server.
Your contacts will be placed in the DavSync sub folder, located inside the main Contacts folder.
Your calendar data will be stored in the DavSync child-calendar, located within the main Calendar drop-down.
The DavSync utility is designed to ONLY synchronize items contained within the 'DavSync' contact and 'DavSync' calendar subfolders. The utility will not conflict or make changes to any other folders or items in Outlook.
Viewing your Calendars
The example below contains two calendars; 'Private' and 'Work'. These folders can be accessed via Folder, Contacts or Calendar view. In Calendar view, ensure that the calendars you wish to view are selected and enabled by ticking the check-box. Any new calendars created through the Atmail interface will only be available once a sync has been completed in Microsoft Outlook.
Updating Events in Microsoft Outlook
To upload a change to the Atmail server, edit the event or contact item and click Save & Close
after you have finished editing.
You can also enable
Auto Synchronization which will synchronize data between the Atmail server and email client every 10 minutes.
Updating Contacts in Microsoft Outlook 2013
To upload a change to the Atmail server ensure you edit your contacts using the
View Source Outlook (DavSync) dialogue, simply using the
Edit function will only overwrite what is displayed locally in Outlook 2013.
Viewing your Contacts
To make DavSync contacts available in your email composer please follow these steps:
Right click on the DavSync contacts folder and select Properties.
When the DavSync Properties dialog box appears, click the Outlook Address Book tab and enable the Show this folder an an e-mail Address Book option.
Save your selection by clicking the Apply button.
Next, click the Address Book button, located in the top right-hand corner of the Home tab.
From the Address Book: Atmail dialog box, select Tools then Options.
Ensure that a custom search order has been specified with DavSync at the top (first).
Your Atmail contacts will now be accessible by the default Address Book dialog.
- Contacts synchronizes the server personal folder only.
- Custom timezone support on individual events is not implemented.
- Outlook 2010 with Hotmail plugin is not supported (we have had limited reports of conflicts).
- Online Support only - this does not support offline changes. NOTE: DavSync for Outlook 2010 was designed for in-office corporate use where a constant internet connection is assumed. As local changes to your Contacts and Calendar are only pushed back to the Atmail Server at the time of change, a connection to the server is required. Offline local changes will be overwritten by the next sync.
- Issues surrounding the synchronization of shared calendars with the same name.
"Microsoft Outlook" is a registered trademark of the Microsoft Corporation.